Price – $130
TAUR RATED – 3.18
The Agility Flex Peak is part of Merrell’s Agility Collection which seeks broaden their trail running shoes. The Merrell website lists this shoe as recommended for long runs and rugged terrain. This 9 oz, 6mm drop shoe has a rock plate in the heel and forefoot and plenty of cushion with a stack height (heel/toe) of 33.25/27.25mm.
“Merrell really made an attempt to break into the true mountain running shoe market.”
The Merrell APF is an attractive shoe with aggressive outsole with lugs that grip and skeleton finger pattern that testers provided solid performance in technical terrain. The construction and appearance of the shoe received high marks with a solid mesh upper and omni-fit lacing system. Testers found the APF performed well in about every terrain and in all conditions including rain and snow.
“This shoe is built for rugged mountain terrain. The shoe tends to be a little bit bulky, stiff and heavy. It has excellent traction and durability.”
There was a split verdict on the lacing systems as some liked and others were suspicious about the durability of attaching the laces to the tongue of the shoe. In general, the feedback on the upper was positive, with some discrepancy on the aesthetics of the shoe. The upper was breathable and worked well even in the Las Vegas sand. The structure of the shoe caused some irritation to some testers, including blisters. Several testers felt the arch was placed awkwardly and that the heel counter offered too much anchoring.
“I really wanted to love this shoe but will likely use it for shorter hikes or runs.”
Overall, the testers felt that the shoe had some really nice attributes but was not quite the performer for aggressive trail runs. The shoe immediately felt stiff and was difficult to adapt over time. In the end, all testers were willing to recommend the Merrell’s Agility Flex Peak for hiking and shorter runs up to a half marathon.
• Fabric, mesh, and TPU upper
• Reflective details for increased visibility in low light
• Merrell Omni-Fit™ lacing system: provides a precise glove-like fit
• Hyperlock™ molded TPU heel counter for security during quick decents and sharp turns
• M Select™ FRESH antimicrobial agents reduces shoe odor
• EVA removable footbed
• FLEXconnect™ EVA dual-directional flex-groove EVA midsole for agility and stability on uneven terrain
• M Select™ GRIP+ outsole with skeleton-inspired lugs: sticky and durable for superior grip and traction on wet or dry trails
• Stack height (heel/toe): 33.25/27.25mm; footbed 6mm; insole: 0.75mm; midsole: 20/14mm; sole: 1.5mm web, 5mm lug
• Weight: 11oz / 315g (1/2 pair)
Price – $130.00
Drop – 6mm
Weight – 315g